• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Byron Ford suspended over cannabis test

Former Knights target suspended over cannabis test
    BY ROBERT DILLON
    13/03/2009 4:00:00 AM
    THE real reason Byron Ford did not join the Newcastle Knights this season was revealed yesterday when the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority announced he had received a 12-match suspension for testing positive to cannabis.

Ford, who scored 15 tries for Newtown in the NSW Cup last season, including one in their grand final loss to Wentworthville, agreed to a two-year deal with the Knights last September.

But soon after accepting terms, the 27-year-old's agent contacted Newcastle officials to inform them he would not be in a position to join them because of "personal reasons".

Those personal reasons emerged yesterday when ASADA announced that Ford had been suspended for a positive swab.

"Mr Ford tested positive from an in-competition sample collected by the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority at a NSW Cup match between the Newtown Jets and the Central Coast Storm on March 29, 2008," ASADA said in a press release.

"Mr Ford, who will miss the first 12 games of the 2009 season, will be eligible to recommence competition on June 19, 2009."

It is understood that Ford had been informed he had tested positive and would be suspended, which prompted him to pull out of the Knights deal.

Knights strategic development manager Keith Onslow, who had negotiated the proposed contract with Ford, said the winger had severed ties with Newcastle, and not vice-versa.

"His manager rang us and said he had changed his mind and wouldn't be joining us," Onslow said yesterday.

"He said that he had personal or family issues and wanted to stay in Sydney. It was his decision."

The Knights subsequently made their own inquiries and became aware of the full situation.

Had Ford actually signed with Newcastle and started training with them before yesterday's sanction was announced, the club would have faced a tough decision on how to handle the dilemma.

Knights management have introduced a strict code of conduct to ensure their players present a squeaky-clean image, which is one reason they abandoned plans last year to sign youngster Arana Taumata from the Bulldogs, after he was involved in an alleged incident that left a man with a broken jaw.

Ford, a Cook Islands international and a member of Maroubra surf gang the Bra Boys, played professionally in England with Hull Kingston Rovers and Oldham but has not appeared in the NRL.

Onslow and Knights coach Brian Smith said they were not aware if he was playing rugby league this season.

Meanwhile, Smith said rookie wingers Esi Tonga (Gold Coast) and Akuila Uate (Newcastle) can expect their share of attention in Sunday's NRL season-opener at Skilled Park.

"I dare say both Esi and Aku are going to feel the heat, first game of the year," Smith said.

Absolutely shocking1st Cherrington and now this What has our club come to ?
    We used to have empires run by emperors. Then we had kingdoms run by kings.
    Now we have countries run by ………

Comment

He's not our problem anymore.

When I read the title, I thought it said cannibal.

Comment

True but the fact he commited this whilst at our feeder club is extremely worrying.Particularly as he may have been an influence on some of the younger ones who played at Newtown last season.Lastly it is now plainly obvious why in spite of his form he was never selected for 1st grade

Comment

He was busted AFTER he hed signed with the Knights.

Comment

I don't get it.

If you want to do pot, go to Amsterdam where it's legal!

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Fella View Post
              He was busted AFTER he hed signed with the Knights.
              I suggest you read again Its says Mr Ford was tetsed whilst in competition on March 29 2008 after a match between Newtown and The Central Coast That means he was playing at our feeder club whilst this cannabis smoking was going on I find it somewhat strange and unlikely that the result of this test took 6 months to come through
              Last edited by Andrew Walker; 03-13-2009, 02:55 PM.

Comment

BURN HIM AT THE STAKE!!!! You here about a little bit of pot and you go around acting like gods gift to humanity. Do you think footy players are sinless angels created by god to run around on a 100m patch of grass for our amusement. And when one transgressors you blow up in shock and criticism. Reading some of the reaction's you will think he had a 4 kg backpack of of the stuff around his back and a joint in his mouth while making tackle.

Cannibis is not performance enhancing and it has many medical applications. Get over it
                Last edited by Optimus Prime; 03-13-2009, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RoosterNight View Post
                  BURN HIM AT THE STAKE!!!! You here about a little bit of pot and you go around acting like gods gift to humanity. Do you think footy players are sinless angels created by god to run around on a 100m patch of grass for our amusement. And when one transgressors you blow up in shock and criticism. Reading some of the reaction's you will think he had a 4 kg backpack of of the stuff around his back and a joint in his mouth while making tackle.

Cannibis is not performance enhancing and it has many medical applications. Get over it
                  Learn to accept Cannabis is a banned substance thusfore those testing positive to it whilst they are elite athletes will pay a penalty. My very own hero has paid dearly for his indescretions with drugs.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Walker View Post
                    Learn to accept Cannabis is a banned substance thusfore those testing positive to it whilst they are elite athletes will pay a penalty. My very own hero has paid dearly for his indescretions with drugs.
                    I will never accept. The poor bloke probably had a sore back from trying to tackle a 5000kg Maori prop forward so he decided to relive some pain when he got home. This ban is bullshit and to long. He was not snorting cocaine and he did not have a needle hanging out of his arm.

Comment

Originally posted by Lauren View Post
                      I don't get it.

If you want to do pot, go to Amsterdam where it's legal!
                      Actually Loz, it is not legal in Amsterdam, it is "Accepted"

Delecto Oriens est odio Meridianus
                      To love Easts is to hate Souffs

Originally posted by Bill Shankley, Liverpool FC
                      At a football club, there’s a holy trinity – the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don’t come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques.
                      Originally posted by Andy Raymond Commentating Souffs V Manly 18/04/09
                      The fireworks at the Easter show are making more noise than the crowd tonight

Comment

Originally posted by supermario View Post
                        Actually Loz, it is not legal in Amsterdam, it is "Accepted"
                        Whatever it is, you can do it!

Comment

Was it going to be legal in Canberra or something along the lines ?

Comment

Originally posted by RoosterNight View Post
                            I will never accept. The poor bloke probably had a sore back from trying to tackle a 5000kg Maori prop forward so he decided to relive some pain when he got home. This ban is bullshit and to long. He was not snorting cocaine and he did not have a needle hanging out of his arm.
                            Well you should learn to accept. Otherwise you are going to be a bitter and twisted individual later on in life. There are many other legal sources you can use to help a sore back.It is also possible the poor bloke is a chronic bong head and had been getting away wth this cannabis smoking throughout his career and his luck finally ran out.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Walker View Post
                              Well you should learn to accept. Otherwise you are going to be a bitter and twisted individual later on in life. There are many other legal sources you can use to help a sore back.It is also possible the poor bloke is a chronic bong head and had been getting away wth this cannabis smoking throughout his career and his luck finally ran out.

To be honest the only people i think are bitter & twisted are those people that love pointing the finger and showering criticism at elite athletes when they slip up. I don't care what he was doing, he was doing it in the privacy of his home and not in public he was not teaching kids how to pack a cone. i will never accept it to be wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X