Big Willie's return on fast track

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Willie's return on fast track

On a warm afternoon at Coogee Oval, a car backfires in the distance as Willie Mason launches into his first of many 30m sprints.

"Boom," the colourful prop yells. "Did you hear that? I just broke the sound barrier."

Yep, after a knee reconstruction and six months on the sidelines, Willie Mason is back.

Bigger, fitter and faster than ever.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal Mason is poised to make his comeback in round one, a month earlier than expected, and according to his sprint coach Roger Fabri will play like "the Willie Mason that used to destroy people when he made his debut for the Bulldogs".

"We want him to try and be as big and powerful as he was when he first started," Fabri said.

"And he will be. We have condensed his stride length to really use that big frame. He is now building power in that first 10 and 15 metres.

"I think you will see a very destructive player this year. Better than he ever was."

After running 30m in less than four seconds, the 114kg giant said he was ready to fire in 2009.

"We haven't done speed work for a while and Roger is unreal," Mason said.

"I think you will see some big improvements. I think speed is one of the most important parts of the game and coming back from a major injury I feel great.

"The power is great and I think I have gained speed."

Mason was not expected to make his return to the NRL until round four after injuring his knee in round 26 last year, but could turn out for the Sydney Roosters' season opener against the South Sydney on March 15.

"It is about a seven-month injury but it feels good," Mason said. "We will test it as it gets closer. It is a possibility. I am just feeling really good and looking forward to the season."

Joining Mason at the optional sprint session on Monday was new lock Braith Anasta, who has dropped a staggering 0.30 of a second from his 30m time since the beginning of the year.

"I think you will see a different Braith Anasta," Fabri said.

"He has gone from 4.40 to 4.10. He is really moving in the right direction and will be even faster when the season starts."

Fabri has been working with the entire Roosters squad this year to improve their sprint technique.

"Anasta was using his power in the wrong direction," Fabri said.

"He was very vertical and now we are getting him horizontal.

"As a squad they are all pretty good. The fastest is probably Anthony Minichiello and Sia Soliola, but the rest aren't far behind.

"And I think we can get them all running a bit quicker."
    Sounds good to me.

I love Willie.

Comment

Sia Slowliola??

Comment

Originally posted by Geohood View Post
        Sia Slowliola??
        Speedia Soliola if you please!
        "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I thought I read that Sonny Tuigamala was the quickest over 40m?
          As for Mason, sounds promising and I hope translates to form on the field.
          "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Lauren View Post
            I love Willie.
            We know you do Lozza!!!

Comment

I'd rather him come back round 5 knowing that he will be 100% fit and not at risk of re-injuring it.

I also think that article sums up Braith perfectly... it was only an optional session but he turned up anyway, I guess that's why he's captain.

Comment

Willie runs 30 in under 4 secs.

Bwaiff in 4.1 secs.

Thats farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrked.

The FlogPen .

You know it makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster_6 View Post
                  I'd rather him come back round 5 knowing that he will be 100% fit and not at risk of re-injuring it.

I also think that article sums up Braith perfectly... it was only an optional session but he turned up anyway, I guess that's why he's captain.
                  AGREED and AGREED

I would hate Willie to lose motivation again late in the season as he did last year. better to get him 100% fit and ready to go until the first week in October.

Thats Braith for you, all round good guy!

Comment

Originally posted by stsae View Post
                    Willie runs 30 in under 4 secs.

Bwaiff in 4.1 secs.

Thats farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrked.

Braith has to take 2 steps to Willie one though maaaaaaaaaaaaaatttee

Comment

Excellent News. Can't wait to see him run over the south sydney rejects.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Gunn View Post
                        Braith has to take 2 steps to Willie one though maaaaaaaaaaaaaatttee
                        The long and the short of it mate.

Still its a tellucrapp story so they could have got it arse end up, easily.

The FlogPen .

You know it makes sense.

Comment

I think we have got the slowest team in the whole comp. I remember the lighting days of sing and walker.

Comment

Mulliiiiiiiiiiins.

Comment

Mini, Pearce (and I imagine Jones) are pretty quick.

Comment

Working...
                              X