No announcement yet.

Is everyone OK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for letting us know you are safe Andy. Your daughter and Horrie Hasting’s sister were the first 2 people I thought of when my friend across the hallway messaged me with the news late yesterday afternoon to see if I was home. Ironically, you were all the ones who always went out of your way to come and keep me company in my shop after I was assaulted at Charing Cross in 2009. You have no idea how much it meant to me back then to see familiar, smiling and trusting faces and that is something I will carry with me forever, no matter what. I’m feeling deep gratitude for the safety of you all. The last time I cried 24 hours straight was when Mum died.

I’ve seen a lot in my time over the years, having worked at the bank in Westfield back in the 90’s and colleagues being taken hostage and locked in the safe at our Edgecliff branch, the boutique next to mine being held up by knife wielding teenagers..dealing with my own fears…many more incidents from those days, but never ever has anything on this level of devastation been seen in our area. I was 800m from the Lindt Cafe siege and I remember chatting to some of you including Andy on here back then too whilst we were in an office lockdown. This stuff stays with you forever.

All I can now think of is the younger generations who have not only just come out of 2 years of on and off lockdowns, now having to deal with a place they should all be able to go to freely and often without fear, being the scene of such sadness and grief. Our community has a lot of healing to do and it will not be easy to bounce back emotionally from something on this scale. It’s the 6 degrees of separation for those of us who have called this beautiful part of the world home for decades. We all know someone who knows someone effected..The Roosters released a statement too via email but I was too busy crying to read it properly. Maybe someone else will post it.

Waylander, thanks for starting this thread and it’s given me some comfort to check in on people who mean a lot to me. I haven’t read all the comments but I’m sending lots of love and healing to those affected directly, like Thirteen and Red. They are lucky to have strong friends and family like both of you to lean on.
    "It's these little things, they can pull you under
    Live your life filled with joy and wonder"

Comment

Originally posted by zac View Post
      muslim security guard one of the dead victims ...

but how about the cop who shot the bloke. how many lives and woundings did she save? total hero. hope we can give her a drive in the car around the ground before the anzac day game.
      i love that she tried to do cpr on him afterwards - there's a professional for you: it's about commitment to the job and its craft. legend.
      I posted about the Muslim security guard earlier but deleted it as it was unconfirmed now confirmed Faraz Tahir is the name
      We used to have empires run by emperors. Then we had kingdoms run by kings.
      Now we have countries run by ………

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Walker View Post

Very sad though to see his return in such circumstances and under them he chose his return to take a pot shot at other posters He could easily have left that out and returned with dignity
        Cmon Andy. Let’s all have a kebab and be mates!
        FVCK CANCER

Comment

Originally posted by zac View Post

understandably? no doubt 'terrorism' was a possibility but assuming it was terrorism was a long bow. most criminal acts aren't terrorist. most stabbings with 'long bladed knives' aren't terrorist related. and it turns out that it wasn't terrorist related and that islamophobia is a problem in the same way that anti-semitism is a problem
          Borough market London.
          'Three men began stabbing people in and around pubs and restaurants. They were shot dead by police.
          Eight people were killed and
          48 were injured.
          British authorities described the perpetrators as 'radical Islamic terrorists'.
          - Wikipedia.
          It was perfectly reasonable for people to consider that the Bondi mall mass stabbings could be a terror attack.

Comment

Originally posted by rented tracksuit View Post

Cmon Andy. Let’s all have a kebab and be mates!
            OH RT What a great idea Mine will be halal
            We used to have empires run by emperors. Then we had kingdoms run by kings.
            Now we have countries run by ………

Comment

Currently overseas. I’ve stopped reading anymore media updates etc. Not once did I see any comment from Scentre the billion dollar business group which owns the 37 Australian Westfield Stores. Have I missed something here on this absolute tragedy in regards to Scentre / Westfield ?

Comment

Originally posted by bondi.boy View Post

Borough market London.
                'Three men began stabbing people in and around pubs and restaurants. They were shot dead by police.
                48 were injured.
                - Wikipedia.
                It was perfectly reasonable for people to consider that the Bondi mall mass stabbings could be a terror attack.
                Let's pick a number. Say 5 or 6 or 7 or maybe 8 actually let's go with 9 options as to what the killers motive was. Obviously "a terror attack" would be 1 of them so what's your point bondi boy?

Comment

I wonder if security will be beefed up in shopping centres as a result - maybe armed security and or a Police Presence.

During COVID there was a strong Police presence at shopping centres I went to during the lock down period.

Comment

Originally posted by bondi paul View Post
                    Currently overseas. I’ve stopped reading anymore media updates etc. Not once did I see any comment from Scentre the billion dollar business group which owns the 37 Australian Westfield Stores. Have I missed something here on this absolute tragedy in regards to Scentre / Westfield ?
                    I saw a spokesperson for Scentre on the news, providing a statement plus online Scentre statements- see links below

https://www.scentregroup.com/news-an...-13-april-2024

https://www.scentregroup.com/home

Comment

• Originally posted by Bates View Post

Let's pick a number. Say 5 or 6 or 7 or maybe 8 actually let's go with 9 options as to what the killers motive was. Obviously "a terror attack" would be 1 of them so what's your point bondi boy?
                      That's all I'm saying, it was perfectly reasonable to consider it could be a terror attack...given what's going on in the world these days.

Comment

• Originally posted by bondi.boy View Post

Borough market London.
                        48 were injured.
                        - Wikipedia.
                        Bourke St massacre 2017, perpetrator in a drug induced psychosis killed 6 people with his car and injured 27 others, including a baby and 10 year old. That’s Melbourne by the way.
                        Last edited by mightyrooster; 04-14-2024, 11:24 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by King Salvo View Post

I saw a spokesperson for Scentre on the news, providing a statement plus online Scentre statements- see links below

https://www.scentregroup.com/news-an...-13-april-2024

https://www.scentregroup.com/home
                          Thank you

Comment

That's all I'm saying, it was perfectly reasonable to consider it could be a terror attack...given what's going on in the world these days.
                            A terrorist wearing a Kangaroos Jersey would be a 1st.

Comment

• Someone earler in this thread asked "what would we have done"?
                              Given that I'm closer to 80 than 75, can no longer run, am not allowed to carry a handgun, knife, whip, sword, baton, extendable baton, crossbow, garden fork as walking stick and weapon, walking stick gun, ...I could do not much, maybe grab something from a store to use for self defence etc.

Improved security at Bondi Westfield?
                              Very difficult, so many entrances...incl from lifts into stores, on multiple floors.
                              Easy to hide a knife on one's person...security guards on entry doors would see no threat.

Comment

Someone earler in this thread asked "what would we have done"?
                                Given that I'm closer to 80 than 75, can no longer run, am not allowed to carry a handgun, knife, whip, sword, baton, extendable baton, crossbow, garden fork as walking stick and weapon, walking stick gun, ...I could do not much, maybe grab something from a store to use for self defence etc.

Improved security at Bondi Westfield?
                                Very difficult, so many entrances...incl from lifts into stores, on multiple floors.
                                Easy to hide a knife on one's person...security guards on entry doors would see no threat.
                                It’s a crazy world we live in these days BB that’s for sure. Cyber threats, biological attacks…

Comment

Working...
                                X