The USA and Us - a primer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The USA and Us - a primer.

I was somewhat dismayed, but not really surprised, to hear that not one of the studio audience of Sunrise could name the Federal Treasurer. It is a measure of how important politics and making an informed choice at election time is to the ordinary person. Since 1951 the ANZUS treaty has been Holy Writ in Australian defence and political thinking and and our pathetic conservative media has made it so despite evidence that it is a dead duck as far as Australian interests are concerned.

For a start, how interested in the "Alliance" is America? To thinking people, "Malcolm Trumble" and "that fella Down Under" says it all - not all that much. In fact NZ woke to the treaty's "US interests only" nature 40 years ago and banned US nuclear warships from NZ which led to its suspension by Big Brother - the "Alliance" is now the AUS treaty not to be confused with the recent AUKUS "agreement" which is a Tory wet dream boosted by Murdoch with no substance whatsoever.

ANZUS or AUS guarantees us absolutely nothing security-wise. It is an agreement to "consult" in difficult times and as Nation States put self interest first and last it is difficult to imagine being of much help at all if another nation more important to the US strategically became hostile to us. In fact, there is proof of that in recent times. The only time that Australia has invoked ANZUS on its own behalf was over the Oz peace keeping decision regarding East Timor. The US refused to assist not wanting to compromise its far more important relationship with Indonesia.

On the other hand nothing...nothing ..has held us back from signing up to any immoral regime change adventure that the US has applied its power to, often begging (as Menzies did re Vietnam) to be allowed to join in. All have been failures of course and our participation has made us less secure, not more. Hitching ourselves so uncritically to a Hegemon which has been at war for the most part of its history can only worsen our situation,

Clearly, the problem can only be solved here but with a reptilian US citizen having a near media monopoly which monsters progressive opinion, a citizenry which can't name prominent political office holders but which has a deep reverence for the bullshit that is Anzac, you'd have to concede that prospects do not look at all hopeful.

As usual, everything that I've said here is checkable What you need is more curiosity like the name is Josh Frydenberg - a member of Melbourne's wealthy elite - didya get it?

aus and the u.s. have a lot in common and the u.s. is powerful and it's good to have them as a friend. but we're not the 51st state and every decision we make in foreign policy has to put our own self-interest at the fore-front.
    i'm not necessarily v aukus but it will require a great deal of competent diplomacy to stay on good terms with china (which is in our self-interest).

Comment

Originally posted by Paddo Colt 61 View Post
      I was somewhat dismayed, but not really surprised, to hear that not one of the studio audience of Sunrise could name the Federal Treasurer. It is a measure of how important politics and making an informed choice at election time is to the ordinary person. Since 1951 the ANZUS treaty has been Holy Writ in Australian defence and political thinking and and our pathetic conservative media has made it so despite evidence that it is a dead duck as far as Australian interests are concerned.

For a start, how interested in the "Alliance" is America? To thinking people, "Malcolm Trumble" and "that fella Down Under" says it all - not all that much. In fact NZ woke to the treaty's "US interests only" nature 40 years ago and banned US nuclear warships from NZ which led to its suspension by Big Brother - the "Alliance" is now the AUS treaty not to be confused with the recent AUKUS "agreement" which is a Tory wet dream boosted by Murdoch with no substance whatsoever.

ANZUS or AUS guarantees us absolutely nothing security-wise. It is an agreement to "consult" in difficult times and as Nation States put self interest first and last it is difficult to imagine being of much help at all if another nation more important to the US strategically became hostile to us. In fact, there is proof of that in recent times. The only time that Australia has invoked ANZUS on its own behalf was over the Oz peace keeping decision regarding East Timor. The US refused to assist not wanting to compromise its far more important relationship with Indonesia.

On the other hand nothing...nothing ..has held us back from signing up to any immoral regime change adventure that the US has applied its power to, often begging (as Menzies did re Vietnam) to be allowed to join in. All have been failures of course and our participation has made us less secure, not more. Hitching ourselves so uncritically to a Hegemon which has been at war for the most part of its history can only worsen our situation,

Clearly, the problem can only be solved here but with a reptilian US citizen having a near media monopoly which monsters progressive opinion, a citizenry which can't name prominent political office holders but which has a deep reverence for the bullshit that is Anzac, you'd have to concede that prospects do not look at all hopeful.

As usual, everything that I've said here is checkable What you need is more curiosity like the name is Josh Frydenberg - a member of Melbourne's wealthy elite - didya get it?
      Oh dear.
      Have you read Josh's bio?
      You should.
      We're so very lucky to have him as our Federal Treasurer.
      Also one of our tennis champs from yesterday.
      7 audience, all leftists?
      We had just converted the Trumpster to the green and gold, state dinner for ScoMo, Jenny and Australia at the White House...where the band and choir played and sang Waltzing Matilda...when the American people voted him out of office.

In case you missed it, we have pop guns for defence, whereas China has 2 million troops, every nuke known to mankind, hypersonic missiles, the best navy and air force in the world now.

Europe, including France, despite all the blood Australians shed for them in WW1 and WW2, seems not slightly interested in defending Australia in future.

Our only hope is America.
      Our only hope is Uncle Sam.
      Our only hope is "Old Glory", the Stars and Stripes flag.
      Our only hope is the Star Spangled Banner anthem:

"O say can you see by the dawn's early light,
      What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming,
      Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fight,
      O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming,
      And the rockets' red glare, etc.

Our only hope is becoming the de facto 51st state of America.
      The USA is the largest investor in Australia.

There seem to be many in Australia only too happy to cosy up to China and sell off Australia to it.

Give me America any day.
      Last edited by bondi.boy; 01-13-2022, 07:19 PM.

Comment

If Australia is smart it can do business with both the US & China & not get involved in other countries affairs.
        Neither China or America are going to effect my time on the planet neither of them are going to invade Australia & take over in my life time. What happens when Im dead has nothing to do with me. Man will eventually destroy the planet so America & China will be farked like everyone else.

Comment

Fair call Mick. There are signs too that many think that way but polling tells us that the US led anti China propaganda is making ground unforch.

By the way, I thought your comment elsewhere re Burton being the next Freddy was astute. In that second half of the season he shone. The Dogs have done well there. Any idea of what he's on?

Comment

Embarrassing

Comment

Embarrassing but timely and salutary Count. When do we we get a result on that Long streak of piss to whom soldier boy Jim Molam and others gave a VC? Will those who recommended and rubber stamped it lose their jobs? Not likely.

Absolutely sickening but not surprising that we have wankers like Scojo on the loose after all American low brow "entertainment" promotes that sort of mindless indescriminate killing and had done since "wasting" Indians was all the rage in 50s movies. Of course, the injuns were proxies for Russians - Westerns were meant to imbue us with a fear of the other and that good/evil dichotomy that Heckle and Jeckle are so reluctant to let go of.

Comment

Comment

Embarrassing but timely and salutary Count. When do we we get a result on that Long streak of piss to whom soldier boy Jim Molam and others gave a VC? Will those who recommended and rubber stamped it lose their jobs? Not likely.

Absolutely sickening but not surprising that we have wankers like Scojo on the loose after all American low brow "entertainment" promotes that sort of mindless indescriminate killing and had done since "wasting" Indians was all the rage in 50s movies. Of course, the injuns were proxies for Russians - Westerns were meant to imbue us with a fear of the other and that good/evil dichotomy that Heckle and Jeckle are so reluctant to let go of.
                  You are a bore the same old same old brainwashed anti-west propaganda every f'ing post - ffs show some bollocks and migrate to Russia , China or North Korea

Comment

Today (Saturday) Paul Keating has contributed a "Little Americans" piece to johnmenadue.com. It is an interesting read and it well applies to our own Heckle and Jeckle.

That US anthem is good if a little long (I wonder how many know the second verse on) but it is nowhere near as stirring as its Russian counterpart which Andy thoughtfully posted recently. I've heard people humming it after he blasts past down Campbell Parade with top down.
                    Last edited by Paddo Colt 61; 02-25-2023, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Today (Saturday) Paul Keating has contributed a "Little Americans" piece to johnmenadue.com. It is an interesting read and it well applies to our own Heckle and Jeckle.

That US anthem is good if a little long (I wonder how many know the second verse on) but it is nowhere near as stirring as its Russian counterpart which Andy thoughtfully posted recently. I've heard people humming it after he blasts past down Campbell Parade with top down.
                      Indeed the Russian anthem is stirring. Why only on Thursday before leaving the home to play our Touch football GF I found myself having a listen to it for motivation

Lyrics such as A mighty will great glory these are yours for all time Be glorious our Motherland they really stirred the emotions within.

Late on in the game with scores level our old legs tiring and the younger legs from the other side beginning to dominate the match. Our player with Russian heritage Anton Molinov made a desperate last tackle touch to stop what looked like being a certain winning try for the opposition As I ran towards him to congratulate him I found myself screaming A mighty Will great glory these are ours Anton Be glorious our courageous team. On hearing this Anton our true Russian warrior sprung to his feet and with a new lease of life led us down field with the ball winning us two penalties with his charges From there our Anton slithered back to the wing where he belonged and was rewarded by being on the end of a long pass to score the winning try Anton Molinov our true Russian warrior had turned the game. Oh PC it was inspirational stuff.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AOAtz8xWM0w
                      Last edited by Andrew Walker; 02-26-2023, 04:24 AM.
                      We used to have empires run by emperors. Then we had kingdoms run by kings.
                      Now we have countries run by ………

Comment

I feels just as though I was there Andy but imagine how it might have been with a US origin winger. At the first sound of "Oh say can you see by the dawn's early light...." the hand would have gone to the heart and the pass reception (US term) fluffed. Youse would have got beat.

PS Would I be correct in assuming that you threw the Pearcey bullet wot won the game? Legend mate!!

Comment

Vaughan Grissom (left) has big shoes to fill at short stop after the free agency departure of Golden Glove and long term Atlanta Braves Short Stop Dansby Swanson to the Chicago Cubs post season - Ozzie Albies (Right) if recovered from his arthroscopic shoulder surgery will be back at 2nd Base for the season opening day on 31st March 2023 vs Washington Nationals @ Atlanta

Bombs away in Atlanta GA and Chop on Braves

https://www.mlb.com/braves

Comment

I feels just as though I was there Andy but imagine how it might have been with a US origin winger. At the first sound of "Oh say can you see by the dawn's early light...." the hand would have gone to the heart and the pass reception (US term) fluffed. Youse would have got beat.

PS Would I be correct in assuming that you threw the Pearcey bullet wot won the game? Legend mate!!
                            I did not throw the bullet pass Knowing exactly the play we were setting up for I was beside our Russian warrior and making sure we used every millimeter of the width of the field I had placed myself outside my defender With our Russian warrior skirting the side line

When the moment came I ran into a hole which which drew the attention and brought in the defending winger, as the pass was thrown the temptation to try snatch it out of the air was great as had it hit me on the chest, I would have strolled over as I was in a yawning gap. My hands reaching up to snatch it out of the air but thinking better of it and allowing the ball to sail over to the winger who strolled over with screams of joy echoing from our players and our loved ones supporting on the sideline.

I found it fitting our Russian warrior scored the match winner and I thank the Gods it wasn’t an American as you put it as I’m sure what you said would have occurred.
                            We used to have empires run by emperors. Then we had kingdoms run by kings.
                            Now we have countries run by ………

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Walker View Post

I did not throw the bullet pass Knowing exactly the play we were setting up for I was beside our Russian warrior and making sure we used every millimeter of the width of the field I had placed myself outside my defender With our Russian warrior skirting the side line

When the moment came I ran into a hole which which drew the attention and brought in the defending winger, as the pass was thrown the temptation to try snatch it out of the air was great as had it hit me on the chest, I would have strolled over as I was in a yawning gap. My hands reaching up to snatch it out of the air but thinking better of it and allowing the ball to sail over to the winger who strolled over with screams of joy echoing from our players and our loved ones supporting on the sideline.

I found it fitting our Russian warrior scored the match winner and I thank the Gods it wasn’t an American as you put it as I’m sure what you said would have occurred.
                              I think you and Comrade Paddo should get a room

Comment

Working...
                              X