Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Qld Senator Gives Wife Clothesline for Mother's Day---criticised.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qld Senator Gives Wife Clothesline for Mother's Day---criticised.

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/austra...&OCID=AVRES000

Qld senator criticised for giving his wife a clothes line for Mother's Day

Queensland Senator Matt Canavan has bought his wife Andrea a clothesline for Mother's Day, sharing the moment on Twitter along with the caption: "Installed 100% Aussie made Austral clothesline today. Disappointing that Hills Hoists are Made in China.

"Great product from Austral though. Support Aussie manufacturing jobs ... And timing is a coincidence but the missus is happy with the early Mother's Day present!"

The reaction on Twitter was overwhelming, with some suggesting the gift was an out-dated choice. Others took issue with his reference to China.

"You gave your wife a clothesline for Mother's Day," wrote one Twitter follower. "That's right up there with great Mop and Bucket incident of 1964 where my father bestowed those gifts to my mother on Mother's Day and she hurled them out on the front lawn, followed shortly by him. Oh dearie me"

etc.

#####

Gotta be very careful what you write on the internet these days, especially if you are a white, heterosexual, male [worse if you indentify as Christian as well]….lest you get "eaten alive".
    And heaven help you if you're not in love with all things "China".
    1964..as a general rule, there's wasn't a lot of spare money around in families, women not allowed to work in many occupations.
    The husband worked 5 days a week, and looked after things outdoors at weekend, The wife stayed home, raised children, and did the housework, cooked.
    The husband probably meant well, thought he buy his wife a new mop and bucket to make her life easier.
    Hurling husband out onto front lawn is domestic violence.

1964...no internet, nothing much on tv except the news and I Love Lucy. No touchy feely relationship programs like today.
    How was a husband supposed to know what to do all the time, 24/7?
    2020, not much different.

Senator is probably away from home al lot. Maybe he thought a new clothesline would make his wife's life easier.
    Jenny said ScoMo has been away a lot since he entered politics.
    Last edited by bondi.boy; 05-12-2020, 05:08 PM.

Sorry.
    This should be in "Domestic Politics" thread.

Comment

I think it was just his way of saying he wished they could "hang out" more often..

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks Fur Coat View Post
        I think it was just his way of saying he wished they could "hang out" more often..
        lol

Comment

Originally posted by bondi.boy View Post

lol
          Hey mate ...I sent you a personal message, just letting you know.

Comment

I saw that story and thought it was good to know that Austral make 100% Aussie made clothesline. The backlash is over the top

I like the idea of 100% Australian isles in supermarkets. I boycotted Vegemite when it was American owned....and started buying it again when Bega Cheese bought the ownership

Comment

Instead of putting our farmers, mining industry and economy in jeopardy by talking tough with China.....heres something we should be doing and they cant & wont complain. Stop ANYONE not an Australian citizen buying property here and prosecute anyone trying to look for loopholes

https://9now.nine.com.au/a-current-a...a-b832bac517dd

Cant because we cant go to China and buy property.....wont because the Chinese government doesn't want to see money go offshore. The problem is the Australian governments are addicted to the revenue fees like stamp duty. They are selling the country away for the short term gain

Comment

Originally posted by Random Rooster View Post
                I saw that story and thought it was good to know that Austral make 100% Aussie made clothesline. The backlash is over the top

I like the idea of 100% Australian isles in supermarkets. I boycotted Vegemite when it was American owned....and started buying it again when Bega Cheese bought the ownership
                Think the feminists got upset that the 'missus' was given something that involved work in the backyard as her present for Mothers Day.
                He said later in the article that it wasn't her Mothers Day present. His problem was that he said it was an early one.
                Seems to me that he bought her a nice present for the Day, and the clothes line was an add-on as it was near the Day and something she might like.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks Fur Coat View Post

Hey mate ...I sent you a personal message, just letting you know.
                  I received it, and thank you for it.
                  I tried to reply, but could not work out what to do.

Comment

Instead of putting our farmers, mining industry and economy in jeopardy by talking tough with China.....heres something we should be doing and they cant & wont complain. Stop ANYONE not an Australian citizen buying property here and prosecute anyone trying to look for loopholes

https://9now.nine.com.au/a-current-a...a-b832bac517dd

Cant because we cant go to China and buy property.....wont because the Chinese government doesn't want to see money go offshore. The problem is the Australian governments are addicted to the revenue fees like stamp duty. They are selling the country away for the short term gain
                    I watched that ACA story with interest.
                    My 'Chinese' real estate experience is a long one, I'll cut it short for forum suitability.
                    Lived is NW Syd for 43 years. Bought land when the suburb was market gardens and cows. 60' x 125' rectangle. Built a home on it, 4 bed, 1 1/2 bath, 2 storey, double garage. We moved in, sat on boxes, slowly bought furniture. Lawn, garden, started from scratch.
                    'Everyone' in the suburb "white European appearance."
                    Retired, no more work income, decided to "downsize", sell home, move away, buy cheaper and smaller home, have some money left over.
                    cont in separate post for easy of reading.

Comment

Originally posted by bondi.boy View Post

I watched that ACA story with interest.
                      My 'Chinese' real estate experience is a long one, I'll cut it short for forum suitability.
                      Lived is NW Syd for 43 years. Bought land when the suburb was market gardens and cows. 60' x 125' rectangle. Built a home on it, 4 bed, 1 1/2 bath, 2 storey, double garage. We moved in, sat on boxes, slowly bought furniture. Lawn, garden, started from scratch.
                      'Everyone' in the suburb "white European appearance."
                      Retired, no more work income, decided to "downsize", sell home, move away, buy cheaper and smaller home, have some money left over.
                      cont in separate post for easy of reading.
                      Waiting for part 2!!

Comment

Originally posted by bondi.boy
                        now turning into long story. lol
                        Nearly finished.

Much work, much angst, spent $100,000+ renovating. Painted fully, all doors replaced(20), new carpet, polished timber floors, new ensuite.
                        Paid several thousand to have home staged. Page 1 of internet marketing campaign.
                        Auction campaign.
                        First open house day, Fine Sat. 1.30 pm
                        Will anyone arrive.
                        1.20pm maybe one car could be a buyer.
                        1.25pm agent arrived.
                        1.30pm a few people arrived.. as we were talking to the agent outside the front door.
                        Then they came..like the Boxing Day sale at David Jones!
                        Mostly Asian folk, some Indian folk.
                        Literally elbowing each other out of the way to get in the door.
                        Several more open houses.
                        We slept downstairs in the family room on two single bed cheap rubber matresses so as not to muck up the stylist lady's good work.
                        Auction day arrived.
                        Blessed we were.
                        Lovely fine Spring day, flowers in bloom, lawn perfect, green to the max.
                        Agent said he had about 8 serious potential buyers.
                        Last open house, then auction.
                        Gotta register and get a paddle to bid.
                        8? try 800!
                        Not that many, but the line up for paddles snaked thru 3 rooms.
                        I kept telling myself "you only need two" (in a bidding war.)
                        We needed to get a certain price to repay the bank a considerable sum, buy another property and have some left over.
                        Seeing all the paddles the agent increased the reserve price by $100,000.
                        Buyers who attend open houses basically set the price the agent advertises as the guideline...by reviews.
                        I couldn't watch, my idea to auction our home off on the front lawn on wife's birthday.
                        I sat out on the back deck with a friend and her children (all Roosters season ticket holders).
                        Mrs bb relaying bidding progress.
                        Usual story, no bids to start with...they write books about how to bid at auctions.
                        I hired a sharp young agent with a loudish sharp voice.
                        "Lovely family home, first time offered to the market, it's for sale today, no good coming back tomorrow, it will be gone".
                        Up and up and up went the bidding, some unsuccessful bidders throwing the paddles at mrs bb.
                        I got my "two".
                        Chinese guy v Indian guy.
                        Bidding stalled, but not before it had reached what we needed and almost the new reserve the agent suggested.
                        We then told the agent to declare it on the market.
                        Bidding went past the new reserve.
                        The Indian guy stopped bidding
                        Sold it was to the young Chinese guy.
                        The young Chinese lady, she of the "5 bedrooms" had herself another house.
                        Father from Beijing appeared on settlement day for final inspection.
                        House has never been lived in, some people slept in it once or twice, so I'm told.
                        Looks like it's joined the other 200,000+ empty properties in Sydney.
                        For all intents and purposes the whole suburb now seems to be "Chinese"
                        We had to sell to the highest bidder, or perish".
                        bit like the Oz economy. apparently we sold a fair bit of iron ore to the Chinese last quarter.

your house was in rose bay?

Comment

This is where we should be.. this thread.

Soames for Homes
                          ..it’ll be interesting to see

Comment

Even in their own country the Chinese cant buy a property- its on a 99 year lease to the CCP. Thats what is meant in the ACA report that they like buying here to "secure" their wealth.

I find it appalling when they are allowed to buy property for "when they are not in China".....a loophole because if they are not living in it they legally have to sell. I don't buy what The Real Estate Institute of Australia claim that overseas buyers adds to the supply of housing and that keeps rents down. We are literally selling ourselves away to keep inefficient governments propped up with stamp duty and fees. I wouldn't discriminate against the Chinese because id make that law for any non Australian citizen. Id like to see anyone who is exploiting the law have the property confiscated-as what happens with property purchased with proceeds of crime.

What i find frustrating is all this talk about limiting trade with China. The trade surplus is in our favour- we are winning every year.We cannot win a trade war with China. It was totally reckless when Scomo/Dutton started talking tough to China. Now the Chinese have fired off a warning with the tariffs on barley and stopping the beef exports. Are any of our allies going to step up and buy from us?? 1200 jobs now in jeopardy just in the meat industry-and thats just the start.

Heres what really pissing me off....our government only started talking tough at the prompting of the White House because Trump ran out of people to blame for his inept response to the virus. No country had endorsed what he said...nor have pulled funding for The WHO- the world was united to start investigations into the pandemic when all was under control. Just because Trump has divided his own country doesn't mean he can do it with the whole world- the Europeans have made it very clear that they are going to unite to get through all this.

Comment

Even in their own country the Chinese cant buy a property- its on a 99 year lease to the CCP. Thats what is meant in the ACA report that they like buying here to "secure" their wealth.

I find it appalling when they are allowed to buy property for "when they are not in China".....a loophole because if they are not living in it they legally have to sell. I don't buy what The Real Estate Institute of Australia claim that overseas buyers adds to the supply of housing and that keeps rents down. We are literally selling ourselves away to keep inefficient governments propped up with stamp duty and fees. I wouldn't discriminate against the Chinese because id make that law for any non Australian citizen. Id like to see anyone who is exploiting the law have the property confiscated-as what happens with property purchased with proceeds of crime.

What i find frustrating is all this talk about limiting trade with China. The trade surplus is in our favour- we are winning every year.We cannot win a trade war with China. It was totally reckless when Scomo/Dutton started talking tough to China. Now the Chinese have fired off a warning with the tariffs on barley and stopping the beef exports. Are any of our allies going to step up and buy from us?? 1200 jobs now in jeopardy just in the meat industry-and thats just the start.

Heres what really pissing me off....our government only started talking tough at the prompting of the White House because Trump ran out of people to blame for his inept response to the virus. No country had endorsed what he said...nor have pulled funding for The WHO- the world was united to start investigations into the pandemic when all was under control. Just because Trump has divided his own country doesn't mean he can do it with the whole world- the Europeans have made it very clear that they are going to unite to get through all this.
                              RR,
                              Would I/we be allowed to quote this very informative and well written post of yours in the new 'All things CHINA' thread?

IMO it deserves a broader audience.
                              Atm it's in the clothesline for mothers day thread.
                              Last edited by bondi.boy; 05-13-2020, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X