• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Willie Nelson covering David Bowie

"It's these little things, they can pull you under
      Live your life filled with joy and wonder"

Comment

Yay! New Foo Fighters..citing INXS, David Bowie and ABBA as influences for their new album coming out in February

Comment

Well it started off alright but then got mired in "this is what I like....no this is what I like". Why not try giving reasons for why you like a particular song/group. For example - the only thing that I like about the Seekers is their association with Tom Springfield (O'Brien - Dusty's brother) from the great Springfields who wrote all that smaltzy stuff for the Sneekers and produced them. To me they were always a church fete band but then so were the Beatles at the start.
          On the other hand what I like about A Whiter Shade of Pale is that Procul Harum, just young kids from South End on Sea could have put that masterpiece together - the whimsical tenor lead vocal, the Bach like organ chord progressions and the mystical lyric. I think that it's about a booze/drug fuelled date rape by the way..

Comment

Hard to believe this album is now 30 years old so officially belongs in my old buggers thread:

Comment

Even I don't have this gem in my collection:

Comment

Absolutely beautiful song from an absolutely beautiful woman.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

One of my very favourite pop songs is the brilliant "Ode to Billy Joe" by Americana performer Bobby Gentry. It's a brilliant gothic ballad narrated by the singer in which characters come alive by what they say or do. The use of people's names an place names (Tallahatchie and Tupelo), reported conversations and a persistent gothic mystery creates something straight out of William Faulkner.
                        An ode is a song of praise so she's chosen the wrong word there "Elergy" is more apt but that's a trivial quibble in the light of the overall writing triumph.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Paddo Colt 61 View Post
                              One of my very favourite pop songs is the brilliant "Ode to Billy Joe" by Americana performer Bobby Gentry. It's a brilliant gothic ballad narrated by the singer in which characters come alive by what they say or do. The use of people's names an place names (Tallahatchie and Tupelo), reported conversations and a persistent gothic mystery creates something straight out of William Faulkner.
                              An ode is a song of praise so she's chosen the wrong word there "Elergy" is more apt but that's a trivial quibble in the light of the overall writing triumph.
                              great song. it inspired a surprisingly good movie too

Comment

a Aussie classic my uncle bought me the 45 of for my 7th birthday

Comment

Working...
                                X