Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happened to the Songs from your Era thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• horrie hastings
    replied
    For many years i had a running bet with the better half that despite being away from the recording studios and resisting many offer to reform and tour that ABBA would record one more new song, i got laughed at saying ABBA would never record again but in the back of my head i just had this feeling it would happen, just one song but i just had that feeling it would happen, just little snippets of all four being together in public, for the Swedish premier of Mamma Mia movie and also for Bjorns Greek taverna Mamma Mia experience, then both Agnetha and Frida singing a thank you to Benny and Bjorn things were falling into place. Then in 2017 it was announced that ABBA were going to do some sort of virtual performance with holograms and they had written two new songs, i had tears in my eyes when this news was announced. However they were having troubles getting the virtual side of the performances to work so the release of the new songs kept on getting pushed back, however during this time it was leaked that a third song had been written then it turned into 5 songs and finally a whole album. So after 39 years there was finally an album of new material which made Horrie a very happy boy.

This is the first song released and it sums up their journey over the last 39 years and whata come back it was.

ABBA - I Still Have Faith In You

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAzEY1MfXrQ

Leave a comment:

• Andrew Walker
    replied
    Out doing some Christmas shopping and this song comes on I hadn’t heard it in such a long time When I was a kid my eldest Brother would flog this song to death Great song though

Rhiannon - Fleetwood Mac

Leave a comment:

• Mickie Lane
    replied
    Sooooo good
    Sydney boys, unreal

Leave a comment:

• Mickie Lane
    replied
    I saw DMA's about 7 weeks ago at the Enmore theatre on the MDMA.
    They were so good & so was the MDMA.

Leave a comment:

• horrie hastings
    replied
    My better half had never been a big fan of ELO and claimed a lot of their songs sounded much the same. When we were in Europe in 2011 i bought an ELO box set and played some of it while staying in one of the hotels and this song came up and the better half commented, i really like this song and i went YES, finally some recognition of this great group. Years later when Lynne released Alone in the Universe the better half admitted that they really like ELO as they have heard more of the back catalogue and also appreciated Lynne's latest works also, to admit i was happy was an understatement.

"Getting To The Point" by Electric Light Orchestra

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJHpJKMTDQA

Leave a comment:

• horrie hastings
    replied
    Originally posted by Dr. Voodoo Man View Post

As part of my job I attended an ELO concert in the 90s at the Sydney Entertainment Centre as well as a meet and greet afterwards. Very lame experience without
    Jeff Lynne.
    Yes there is no ELO without Jeff Lynne. I have never listened to and never will listen to anything involved with ELO part 2.

Leave a comment:

• Dr. Voodoo Man
    replied
    Originally posted by horrie hastings View Post
    ELO disbanded in 1986 and Jeff Lynne went onto work on other projects with other artists especially being part of The Travelling Wilburys, apart from a brief stint in 200-2001 bringing back ELO there was no signs of him being interested in ELO again until 2014 after he performed Mr Blue Sky with fellow member Richard Tandy at a BBC charity concert late 2013, this performance prompted Lynne to do a concert in Hyde Park in 2014 which sold out in 15 minutes. This led to Lynne announcing a new album under the name Jeff Lynne's ELO in 2015 and more concerts in the UK Europe and the US.
    First song of the new album was this classic When I Was Boy.

Jeff Lynne's ELO - When I Was A Boy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM34A80RTv4

As part of my job I attended an ELO concert in the 90s at the Sydney Entertainment Centre as well as a meet and greet afterwards. Very lame experience without
    Jeff Lynne.

Leave a comment:

• horrie hastings
    replied
    ELO disbanded in 1986 and Jeff Lynne went onto work on other projects with other artists especially being part of The Travelling Wilburys, apart from a brief stint in 200-2001 bringing back ELO there was no signs of him being interested in ELO again until 2014 after he performed Mr Blue Sky with fellow member Richard Tandy at a BBC charity concert late 2013, this performance prompted Lynne to do a concert in Hyde Park in 2014 which sold out in 15 minutes. This led to Lynne announcing a new album under the name Jeff Lynne's ELO in 2015 and more concerts in the UK Europe and the US.
    First song of the new album was this classic When I Was Boy.

Jeff Lynne's ELO - When I Was A Boy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM34A80RTv4

Leave a comment:

• eddie
    replied
    Maxine Nightingale - Right Back Where We Started From

Maxine Nightingale - Right Back Where We Started From (Lyrics) (From The Umbrella Academy 2) (youtube.com)

Leave a comment:

• Andrew Walker
    replied
    This just came up on my play list It reminds me of a very turbulent time in my life but the song gave me a sense of calm and inner peace

Enemy - Jack Johnson

Leave a comment:

• horrie hastings
    replied
    This lady disappeared from the public eye and stopped recording after 1988 after a bit of a solo career after ABBA stopped recording in 1982, there was silence from 1988 to 2004 where she was unfairly branded a recluse where in reality all she wanted was time away from music and people and have time to herself. Then in 2004 out of the blue she recorded an album of covers as she started to come back into the public eye again, bit by bit over the the coming years she was again more confident being in the public eye and started recording again, the last 10 years especially it seems nothing can hold her back now and she is enjoying life and music again more so than ever.

Anyway after 17 years of not recording and then this song was released, i cried when i heard the first note because i thought i would never hear this beautiful voice sing again.

AGNETHA FÄLTSKOG "If I ever thought you'd change your mind"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZnMHLnTbpw

Leave a comment:

• mightyrooster
    replied
    Originally posted by horrie hastings View Post
    I remember when my parents first bought a record player when we lived in Paddington back in the 60's, i remember a whole pile of 45's came with the player, songs by Nancy Sinatra, Hermits Hermits,, The Seekers plus plenty of others, this one is the oldest one that still survives in my collection from way back then.

The Beatles - Can't Buy Me Love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srwxJUXPHvE

And you can’t do wrong with the Beatles.

Leave a comment:

• Andrew Walker
    replied
    I just posted this in another thread but thought I’d add it here I remember hearing this song in London I was working on a job at Canary Wharf overlooking the Thames. We were out on the balcony having a cigarette and talking when this song came on snd I went real quiet I’d been away for quite some time and hadn’t really missed home but the lyrics 2000 miles is very far through the snow made me miss home My boss asked me are you om you’ve gone quiet I answered yeah but that song made me miss home for the first time since I’d been away

2000 Miles - The Pretenders

Leave a comment:

• horrie hastings
    replied
    I remember when my parents first bought a record player when we lived in Paddington back in the 60's, i remember a whole pile of 45's came with the player, songs by Nancy Sinatra, Hermits Hermits,, The Seekers plus plenty of others, this one is the oldest one that still survives in my collection from way back then.

The Beatles - Can't Buy Me Love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srwxJUXPHvE

Leave a comment:

• mightyrooster
    replied
    Originally posted by eddie View Post

This is what they become.

New Order - Blue Monday
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYH8DsU2WCk
    I saw New Order play at the Enmore theatre, it wasn't a good gig as it was plagued by tech problems.
    Upbeat songs, but still sad lyrics.
    I love that song too and New Order. What a bummer that the concert you saw was no good.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X