Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats on the menu for dinner these days??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Went to Orange Grove Markets last Saturday, bought some of the nicest Grapes and Strawberries i have ever eaten, neither were overally sweet but not to tart either, just the way they should taste, also usually by free range eggs from a lady there, she had some eggs that were all different shapes and sizes, i asked her what they were and she said yard eggs where some of the chooks just roam and lay them anywhere in her yard,i bought a dozen and so far close to the tastiest eggs i have had to, great seeing them all different sizes including bantam eggs.

Comment

• Originally posted by horrie hastings View Post
      Went to Orange Grove Markets last Saturday, bought some of the nicest Grapes and Strawberries i have ever eaten, neither were overally sweet but not to tart either, just the way they should taste, also usually by free range eggs from a lady there, she had some eggs that were all different shapes and sizes, i asked her what they were and she said yard eggs where some of the chooks just roam and lay them anywhere in her yard,i bought a dozen and so far close to the tastiest eggs i have had to, great seeing them all different sizes including bantam eggs.
      I have mangos and avocados all over the place as they are so cheap this year and you can buy them in multipacks for around 7 dollars. I paired the mango with brie and prosciutto last night. Going to try the gluten free crepes when they go on special and make cannoli with ricotta and blueberries inside over the summer.
      "It's these little things, they can pull you under
      Live your life filled with joy and wonder"

Comment

• The price of meat has shot up and the days of meat and 3 veg is disappearing - T-Bone steak for an example - $26 plus a KG and small and not the best looking either- Rump Steak similar and Lamb as well.

During Summer have a lot of salads and the old selection of cold meats from the deli - make up sandwiches - also fruit salad and ice cream ( Streets Blue Ribbon Vanilla) or if just ice cream different flavours but Streets still.

As a Kid every week we would have a roast dinner with all the trimmings plus a wide range of cakes usually on a Sunday night and different meats and or home made pies (bacon/egg/tomato etc) and 3 vegs etc other nights as well as and entree and different desserts every night.- 3 course meals

My Dad only ever ate pork and fish and some chicken - He hated beef and lamb from the war (WW2) as they would have bully beef and mutton in tins and a hard tack biscuit that had to be soaked in water to be edible - looked like a chunky type of soup the bully beef and mutton from doco's I have seen and rumoured to be left overs from WW1.

Millions of flies - the same one's that would be hanging around someone going to the toilet and would later land on the food- that was in North Africa/Syria when fighting the Germans/Italians and Vichy French and PNG fighting the Japanese.

Once upon a time you could only get fruit and veg when it was in season - nowadays at any time.

Comment

• Smoked chicken with a cream and mustard sauce with fresh fettucini.

Comment

• Beef brisket, followed a Andrew zimmern recipe, haven’t made one before, this was pretty delicious, the onion gravy was super tasty, will have to try to make a BBQ one some day, but I will make this one again.

Comment

• Had a prawn, avocado and lettuce cocktail with a dill mustard dressing then had baked leatherjacket fish, baked chat potatoes and steamed asparagus last night.

Comment

Had a prawn, avocado and lettuce cocktail with a dill mustard dressing then had baked leatherjacket fish, baked chat potatoes and steamed asparagus last night.
                Well you and I were supposed to be sitting in the sun at Double Bay having lunch at Neil Perry's right at this very minute which hasn't even opened now for the time being so I made salmon with crispy skin and have enough for tomorrow too. Will steam zucchini, baby spinach, carrots, cauliflower and have mashed potato with it. Have some Tasmanian clotted cream from Harris Farm to have with strawberries and blueberries so having a red, white and blue birthday dessert tomorrow whilst I work.

Comment

• Originally posted by redwhiteblue View Post

Well you and I were supposed to be sitting in the sun at Double Bay having lunch at Neil Perry's right at this very minute which hasn't even opened now for the time being so I made salmon with crispy skin and have enough for tomorrow too. Will steam zucchini, baby spinach, carrots, cauliflower and have mashed potato with it. Have some Tasmanian clotted cream from Harris Farm to have with strawberries and blueberries so having a red, white and blue birthday dessert tomorrow whilst I work.
                  Yes it would have been nice sitting at Double Bay today having lunch with you but we can always reschedule it to a later date, Just been for a walk along the beach front at Brighton Le Sands, so nice to get a bit of sun.

Comment

Yes it would have been nice sitting at Double Bay today having lunch with you but we can always reschedule it to a later date, Just been for a walk along the beach front at Brighton Le Sands, so nice to get a bit of sun.
                    Yes we certainly can go out and enjoy ourselves again one day. I still will make those white chocolate mint Roosters for you too. I really don't mind about not being able to go to restaurants at the moment anyway as growing up in country Queensland we only had the local Chinese or fish and chips in the 1970's. Mum (and Dad too) would cook everything from scratch because we grew a lot in the garden. It was more not being able to see you both today which was the important bit. That said, my friends from my old job still remembered my birthday so they are organising a Zoom call for us tomorrow after we finish work. 2 of the girls are Roosters fans and one of the young guys is very David Bowie obsessed and he just bought some Bowie cushions for his new apartment and has been sending me photos so we'll have a good catch up tomorrow.

Comment

Yes we certainly can go out and enjoy ourselves again one day. I still will make those white chocolate mint Roosters for you too. I really don't mind about not being able to go to restaurants at the moment anyway as growing up in country Queensland we only had the local Chinese or fish and chips in the 1970's. Mum (and Dad too) would cook everything from scratch because we grew a lot in the garden. It was more not being able to see you both today which was the important bit. That said, my friends from my old job still remembered my birthday so they are organising a Zoom call for us tomorrow after we finish work. 2 of the girls are Roosters fans and one of the young guys is very David Bowie obsessed and he just bought some Bowie cushions for his new apartment and has been sending me photos so we'll have a good catch up tomorrow.
                      There will be plenty of time to catch up again, remember how long it took till caught up for one of your big birthdays .

Comment

• Chicken breast cooked in a cream and mustard sauce with baked chat potatoes, steamed zucchini, asparagus, carrot and broccoli.

Comment

There will be plenty of time to catch up again, remember how long it took till caught up for one of your big birthdays .
                          That was worth the wait. Truly one of the most memorable meals I've ever had in such a magnificent setting too.

Comment

That was worth the wait. Truly one of the most memorable meals I've ever had in such a magnificent setting too.
                            Yes i was going to mention that, amazing venue, amazing food and of course amazing company, thank you for letting us share it with you.

Comment

• Another pilgrimage to Coogee for Christmas break, and a couple nice additions on Coogee bay road,

Costis fish and chips, nice Fitout, everything looked clean, we just got a few snacky things cos we just stumbled across it, bbq skewered octopus,some calamari rings and some pineapple fritters (haven’t had them in years) all very tasty and fresh, only been open a few months they said.

the other addition is Johnny Gio’s pizza, again nice little Fitout, had the pepperoni, and it was real thin, with a nice crust, heaps of pepperoni.

both places are perfect for a quick takeaway and sit by the beach to eat.

Comment

• Originally posted by milanja View Post
                                Another pilgrimage to Coogee for Christmas break, and a couple nice additions on Coogee bay road,

Costis fish and chips, nice Fitout, everything looked clean, we just got a few snacky things cos we just stumbled across it, bbq skewered octopus,some calamari rings and some pineapple fritters (haven’t had them in years) all very tasty and fresh, only been open a few months they said.

the other addition is Johnny Gio’s pizza, again nice little Fitout, had the pepperoni, and it was real thin, with a nice crust, heaps of pepperoni.

both places are perfect for a quick takeaway and sit by the beach to eat.
                                The Legion Club at Coogee has a new roof top bar but haven't checked it out yet, the last time we went was on a Monday for lunch and the roof top bar wasn't opened. Really haven't checked out Coogee since the last time we chatted apart from the Legion club.

Comment

Working...
                                X