Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats on the menu for dinner these days??

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by mightyrooster View Post

    I think the media kicked up a fuss about the poor hygiene around buffet type self service options and that was the beginning of the end, if I remember correctly? The place in Orange doesn’t have the greatest reputation from what I’ve heard. I have quite a few family members who live nearby to Orange. But I still have fond childhood memories of eating at Pizza Hut. Then there was Sizzler in the 90s.
    Yes the buffets would look like a bomb had hit it after a while and you would really question the hygiene with all the people touching and coughing over the food at the serving stations.. I rarely had the buffets here in Australia because of the quality had started to decrease by then but when i was in London in 2000 i had the buffet a couple of times because you could fill up at lunch and the quality decent and the price even with the poor exchange rate at the time was still reasonable. Think that may have been the last time i had pizza hut from memory. Like you i do miss the old Pizza Hut though, used to be a good one down in Kingsford that the family would go to for dinner back in the 70 s and also when going to the movies in George St the pizza hut near the cinemas was a good lunch option.

    Oh i remember Sizzler, was up in Brisbane staying with a friend in the mid 90 s and offered to take him out for lunch or dinner anywhere they wanted to go, they chose Sizzler, he loved it, i thought it was terrible, that was the one and only time i ever had Sizzler.
    Last edited by horrie hastings; 02-12-2024, 12:07 PM.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by mightyrooster View Post

      I think the media kicked up a fuss about the poor hygiene around buffet type self service options and that was the beginning of the end, if I remember correctly? The place in Orange doesn’t have the greatest reputation from what I’ve heard. I have quite a few family members who live nearby to Orange. But I still have fond childhood memories of eating at Pizza Hut. Then there was Sizzler in the 90s.
      Sizzler was my favourite . I recall there was one near the Taj Mahal, often went there when visiting Kogarah Oval.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Jacks Fur Coat View Post

        Sizzler was my favourite . I recall there was one near the Taj Mahal, often went there when visiting Kogarah Oval.
        The lines to get in there on a Sunday morning used to be insane when i drove past a few times years ago.

        Comment


        • One of the places i miss that is long gone now is Homestead Chicken. Chicken was good, so much better than KFC and they did crumbed mushrooms which were so yummmmy.



          ​​​​​​​

          Comment


          • Originally posted by horrie hastings View Post

            From the Pizza Hut site.

            Whilst we have a gluten free crust option which can be selected with any large pizza choice, Pizza Hut cannot guarantee 100% allergen-free preparation ...
            Well you would think they’d move with the times a bit quicker
            We used to have empires run by emperors. Then we had kingdoms run by kings.
            Now we have countries run by ………

            Comment


            • Originally posted by horrie hastings View Post

              Yes the buffets would look like a bomb had hit it after a while and you would really question the hygiene with all the people touching and coughing over the food at the serving stations.. I rarely had the buffets here in Australia because of the quality had started to decrease by then but when i was in London in 2000 i had the buffet a couple of times because you could fill up at lunch and the quality decent and the price even with the poor exchange rate at the time was still reasonable. Think that may have been the last time i had pizza hut from memory. Like you i do miss the old Pizza Hut though, used to be a good one down in Kingsford that the family would go to for dinner back in the 70 s and also when going to the movies in George St the pizza hut near the cinemas was a good lunch option.

              Oh i remember Sizzler, was up in Brisbane staying with a friend in the mid 90 s and offered to take him out for lunch or dinner anywhere they wanted to go, they chose Sizzler, he loved it, i thought it was terrible, that was the one and only time i ever had Sizzler.
              We probably went to that Pizza Hut back in the 70s / early 80s too when we visited Sydney to see the relatives. Dad would drive us to the George St cinemas. We saw a few good movies there.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Jacks Fur Coat View Post

                Sizzler was my favourite . I recall there was one near the Taj Mahal, often went there when visiting Kogarah Oval.
                We actually had one here in Tuggeranong, something the north side didn’t have for a change. The last time I went to a Sizzler was about 2018 in Campbelltown and it just wasn’t the same.

                Comment


                • We had a big Al's sandwich joint in Newcastle in the 80's and man their food was good ! My girlfriend and I would hop on the Ducati and ride over to Newie for their seasoned shoestring fries and delicious sandwiches . A shame they finished up .
                  Last edited by Crab; 02-13-2024, 07:53 AM.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Crab View Post
                    We had a big Al's sandwich joint in Newcastle in the 80's and man there food was good ! My girlfriend and I would hop on the Ducati and ride over to Newie for their seasoned shoestring fries and delicious sandwiches . A shame they finished up .
                    Wow that is a blast from the past Crab, i remember Big Al's, there used to be one in the CBD at the Tank Stream arcade on the corner of George St and King St, i used to order the Big Bopper which was a meatball sub from memory, also remember one being located at The Entrance on the Central Coast also.

                    Found this home made clip on you tube of the Newcastle store

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by mightyrooster View Post

                      We actually had one here in Tuggeranong, something the north side didn’t have for a change. The last time I went to a Sizzler was about 2018 in Campbelltown and it just wasn’t the same.
                      The Northside did have one MR. It was on the waterfront in Belco.

                      FVCK CANCER

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by rented tracksuit View Post

                        The Northside did have one MR. It was on the waterfront in Belco.
                        Oh that’d be right. Too good to be true. I sort of have the vaguest memory of that now you mention it but very vague.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by horrie hastings View Post

                          Wow that is a blast from the past Crab, i remember Big Al's, there used to be one in the CBD at the Tank Stream arcade on the corner of George St and King St, i used to order the Big Bopper which was a meatball sub from memory, also remember one being located at The Entrance on the Central Coast also.

                          Found this home made clip on you tube of the Newcastle store

                          That's the one Horrie, that's where we parked the silver 900ss for a Big ALs Little Al and a machine gun Mcgurn with fries .

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by mightyrooster View Post

                            Oh that’d be right. Too good to be true. I sort of have the vaguest memory of that now you mention it but very vague.
                            It was nasty. Always felt greasy in there like there was fryer oil in the air or something.
                            FVCK CANCER

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by mightyrooster View Post

                              We actually had one here in Tuggeranong, something the north side didn’t have for a change. The last time I went to a Sizzler was about 2018 in Campbelltown and it just wasn’t the same.
                              Ahh sizzler Tuggeranong, we would go during college and get the $3(IIRC) dessert bar, never actually ate a main meal there

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by milanja View Post

                                Ahh sizzler Tuggeranong, we would go during college and get the $3(IIRC) dessert bar, never actually ate a main meal there
                                I used to like the cheesy bread and then when I tried it again at Campbelltown in 2018 it was very disappointing and not how I remembered it.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X